Sunday, December 12, 2021

Of Hams and Hoggers 2.0 (an introduction )



 The most important thing is to enjoy your life — to be happy. It's all that matters. 

~Audrey Hepburn~



Good evening friends, family and visitors, I want to welcome you to my blog and give you a little insight about myself and what my blog is all about. For many of you who know me know besides being an extra class amateur radio operator I am into trains, weather and other fun outdoor activities. For those of you who do not know my story here it is. 


CSX 911 first responders unit 

My love of trains: For many years since I was young I always have loved trains. Whether the full size steel wheels on steel rails, or the Tabletop models I always have loved trains and still do. Most of my passion is sitting next to the railroad tracks and travelling to railfan destinations in Ohio my other part of this passion is to model the Youngstown steel industry in HO Scale on my freelance model railroad. For the most part some way shape or form you will find me trackside at one point or another.  


Ham Radio: The one thing that lead me to becoming a ham radio was the trains. For many years I helped a associate run a small hobby shop in Akron here and he was a veteran radio operator. I followed him to a ham fest to help sell items and wound up getting hooked into this hobby. In August of 2017 I became KE8HNK and in February of 2018 I passed my extra class and the rest is history. One more thing I would like top clear up is yes my real name is Elmer and yes I know the history LOL if you don't know then just look up what an Elmer in ham radio is. 

Supercell over Akron 

Storm Spotting and Skywarn: What better thing to get into than storm spotting. It was a natural, plus the Skywarn logo in my opinion is one of the coolest logos out there. Add this in with my love of outdoors, ham Radio, Trains and  my travels it was seamless addition to my two great hobbies I already enjoy plus I get to help save lives by getting weather warnings out quicker using a hobby I already enjoy. 

Outdoor Activities and Preparedness: For the most part through the channels of ham radio I have found other great activities to get into such as archery, and disaster prep. For the most part I volunteer on several groups and try my best to help others know the importance of preparedness whether you are trackside or outside at home storms and disasters can strike and I want others to know how to survive and get home safe or help keep some sense of normalcy in their life. 


What to expect from this blog: For the most part you will find my stories and journey into new things and if I can teach something and share knowledge then I have accomplished my mission here. I hope you will come back and enjoy my blog and if you do don't be afraid to drop a comment below. I look forward to bringing you what I feel to be great content and hope you hang around and subscribe. Also follow us on social media  (links posted below) Remember God is in control, He loves you and so do I until next time friends 73


 Follow me of Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/radioactiverailfan






No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio Time

  "Amateur  radio knows no boundaries except those set by the frequency" ~Unknown                     This morning I woke up to th...